Friday, April 30, 2010

Advice about children from people without kids?

I am a first time mother of a 4 month old little girl and I have found that the first people to point out what I am doing wrong are the people who have never had children. Has anyone else ever experienced this?Advice about children from people without kids?
OOoO My gah...i know what u mean-my cousin is like that-shes always trying to tell me what im doing wrong-yet she has no children..lol..they dont know until they have a baby running around driving them crazy-i dont understand y ppl like that try and put their 2cents in when they have no idea.Advice about children from people without kids?
Oh yes, I had that all the time when my son was in his first few months! I turned 20 just after having my son so most of my friends of my own age were still childless. I had 3 particular friends that thought they knew it all and LOVED telling me what to do. All of them had 'babysitting experience' LOL (I love that one) or younger siblings (that they were like 7 when they arrived into the world for so hardly in a position of care!). They drove me absolutely nuts. I'm not friends with any one of them any more. Two I just deliberately separated myself from and stopped returning calls because they wound me up so much (may sound harsh but they were awful, it was either that or be rude to them because I couldn't stand it how it was for much longer, and they were never brilliant friends in the first place). The other one I actually had a big show down with, fought and haven't spoke since. She was the absolute worst, she was completely obsessed with babies too to a scary extent, if we were ever in town she would walk past innocent normal looking mothers pushing strollers and loudly say ';I know I could do so much of a better job than her';. She'd never said anything that upfront to me but she constantly had little digs about what she thought I was doing wrong, and the 'show down' occurred when I left my son with her outside the toilets while I just nipped in and I got back out and she'd vanished with him and wouldn't answer her phone. I found them about half an hour later wandering around town and everything just came flooding out - I publically humiliated her and I feel very good about that!
There's always someone who feels the need to add their 2 cents, lol! You are the mom and you know what's best for your kiddos, so just ignore all the ';well intentioned advice'; and raise your kids how you see fit. :)





I do have to say though that sometimes someone may not have kids, but they still may have a lot of experience with them. My sis doesn't have any of her own, but she's had her own daycare for over 20 years and works with little ones for about 12 hours a day 5 days a week, so I think she qualifies to give advice.





Just remember, just because advice is given, doesn't mean it has to be taken.
Oh yeah, I have a sister in law that has never been married and does not have children (she is turning 40 this year). When she starts in she says to me, ';You have to realize that when you have kids......blah, blah, blah'; and


';You have to realize that when you are married...blah...blah,..blah';. I just want to flip out sometimes and tell her, ';thank you oh righteous one, I did not realize I had children or a husband and how insightful of you';. The bad thing is that she follows the beginning , ';you have to realize';, with something that lacks any kind of insight and is basic knowledge to anyone.'; It drives me nuts!
This isn't a direct answer to your question, but more of a thought as to a possible source of knowledge for some, not all of these people. If the person who is offering the advice has had a small child in their lives for an extended period of time such as through a previous partner, a family member, or a job (i.e. daycare worker), they might have something valid to say. Otherwise it is just another case of the outside looking in thinking they know all the answers and need to put in their two cents. Your mother's instincts and sense tell you what you need. Congrat's on your growing family :)
yeah - my sister is the same - u shouldnt do that, u shouldnt do this - she just tries to take over - she doesnt even want children so i dont get it, and i'm like excuse me... when u have a child u can give me advice - but it doesnt mean i'm gonna take it!





She has this thing aswell cuz i couldnt breastfeed - my milk just never came in - she brings it up in any situation or conversation or like when i'm talking about what i'm gonna do with this baby - i.e hope that my milk does come in, only to be dissapointed when it doesnt - or just buy formula - she just keeps rattling on about how breast is best - yeah... i know! but i cant breastfeed... i cant help it if my body wont do what i want it to do!





so i know what u mean.... its like pur..lease... go have kids and then u can give me advice!
Well, there are a number of things that they are speaking of which can be dismissed because they have no experience.





However, there are other things that should be taken to heart, because they are looking at it from an objective point of view.





Just something to consider.
yep... because until they actually have kids they have NO idea how hard it is. Just because something sounds good in theory does not mean it actually works in real life!





childless people should never say ';my kids will NEVER do that!'; Because yes they will... and more then once! lol
oh yes ..i had my son at 19 and everyone was telling me what to do even now they do when my son is 2 .. and they don't have children of their own . i think its jealousy because a lot of women envy people who have children when they don't.
Yes! it's usually the people with the least to say that say the most! i usually just ignore them because unless you've been there you can never really know!
Peeps in general who don't have children ARE THE FIRST ONES TO KNOCK KIDS DOWN.





It's human nature! Everyone on earth has experienced this problem - me included!
Yes, and usually they're complete strangers as well. I just give them a dirty look and ignore them.

No comments:

Post a Comment