Friday, April 30, 2010

What can I say to people that are always giving me advice during pregnancy?

Some of it is wrong advice. And I am so sick of people telling me what I can and cannot do. I appriciate the advice, but Its quite annoying.What can I say to people that are always giving me advice during pregnancy?
Just smile and nod. Everyone wants to give advice to a pregnant or new mother. You will probably one day find yourself doing it too. Do listen to them without disregarding it though - consider and then decide. I found myself wishing I had listened to some of those crazy old ladies afterwards. :)





Something I've been saying lately is : somewhere between my sixth month of pregnancy and my baby's six month birthday, I realized that I don't know everything there is to know, and other moms do have good advice. Many people will parent very differently than you, and you will get just as many people, if not more, wanting to give you advice when you have your baby than you do with baby still inside. The only person that gets more attention than a pregnant woman is one with a newborn. :)What can I say to people that are always giving me advice during pregnancy?
So you are asking the world for advice on how to not accept advice. Funny. Thank those people and move on. They are only trying to be helpful.
say thank you or o yea a lot pf ppl have been tellin me that %26amp; move around you can't really stop em
Just politely say thanks for the advice I will give it some thought.
Just say thank you. everybody always seemd to think that a pregnant person needs advice. take it wth a grain of salt
Be diplomatic. A lot of it actually will help you. Listen and don't assume you know everything. There's something to be said for experience.
lol...I'm going through the exact same thing. I'm 20 weeks pregnant and I haven't stopped reading about it since I found out 17 weeks ago. Yet I constantly get well meaning advice from apparently, clueless people.





Politeness is all fine and good...but passing on stupid incorrect information on such an important subject is not right.





There are enough uneducated people in the world. Especially uneducated girls who end up pregnant and clueless.





I use it as an opportunity to correct these would be ';do gooders'; and school them on their misinformation as politely as possible.





Usually, they thank me and go on their merry way. Which is fine with me as they were offering unsolicited advice.





Now the unsolicited belly touching...that's a whole nother thing...don't even get me started. JEEZ people!! Keep your hands to your self!!
Tell them to go get knocked up and THEN give you the advice!
For general advice ';Thanks, I'll talk that over with my doctor/midwife'; If they're telling you to not do something (like the moron that would scold me when I had a soda in the break room at work) ';Actually, Mr. Moron, my midwife/doctor has told me I'm allowed to...have 100 mg of caffeine, lift objects that weigh up to X number of pounds, lift my arm above my head, eat a gallon of ice cream at once, etc.'; (You should probably use the person's name instead of Mr. Moron)





While it's true that you will occasionally get good advice so much of it is bumpkus that you really don't feel like deciphering it all out. I always found the best advice about parenting/pregnancy/heck, life in general is the solicited kind. I don't mind asking for help when I need it and when I ask I'm much more open to listening and following the advice I'm given.
Smile, say thank you and move on. Pregnancy brings the care-taker / mother out in all of us. Just try to remember that they mean well.





If you react, they'll blame your hormones, so you can't win.





Congratulations! and BEST of LUCK to YOU!!
Be friendly, but maybe let it slip in one ear and out the other?!


It's your baby, don't feel guilty if you are doing something they say you 'shouldn't'!
I am sorry to tell you but it just gets worse, once you have the baby. Everyone seems to know how to raise you child better than you or know more than the Dr. Best advice is to tell them now that you are going by what the Dr. says regardless of what they think. That way when they start in on the baby they will be use to hearing you say that.
  • zits
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment