Friday, April 30, 2010

Now that you've graduated and are in ';the real world';, what is your advice for people in college?

Whats your advice to people in college, now that you have had experience both in college and in the workforce? What would you do differently or the same? What do you wish you knew?Now that you've graduated and are in ';the real world';, what is your advice for people in college?
Study something that will get you a job in the real world and leave off the credit cards. Life is tough enough without a boatload of credit card debt weighing you down.Now that you've graduated and are in ';the real world';, what is your advice for people in college?
Many jobs require tests. Check whether ones you might want do and take the tests before graduation so you are ready to move on to the next step. If you want to be an air traffic controller or something like that it can take some time before the next test is scheduled to be given and you need the results before you can be considered.


Use your papers and projects to get noticed by people in your field in an area you want to work in. Realize the job you will do at some point in your life probably does not yet exist so do not think a job is below you. You do not yet know where it will lead.


All education is inter related. You can take courses later to switch fields but there are basic paths you may want to take in the beginning. An english degree may get you into medicine but not as a physician and a science degree may allow you to write but your focus will be limited for some time.


If you wish to understand how knowledge is categorized look at the dewey decimal system in the library. Areas have their own letters.


The higher in college you go the more choices you have. It all depends on your interests. Get to know your professors and their interests.
Don't expect to get a ';really great job'; after graduating unless you've got great connections or your daddy owns a multi-million dollar company.





Also, don't expect to get paid much more than you would if you hadn't gone to college unless you studied to be a doctor or lawyer.





And with this economy, plan on starting your own business because getting a full-time job these days is close to impossible. The time and money you'll spend going on interviews will be better used by investing in your own business.





Thats my honest opinion and what I'd tell graduates if they asked for advice.
Hi there,





My advice is, no matter how much you think college sucks, stick through with it. And make the best grades you possibly can....employers out there find good grades and a degree very impressive. Also, don't take your major too seriously. there is a crazy statistic out there that states only about 48% of people actually work in the same related field that their major in college was. A lot of employers really don't care what your degree is in, but just fact that you have a degree and the perserverence to get one makes you more desirable as a future employee. Good luck!
I have not graduated because I have changed my major 3 times and have been attending my university for over 6 years. I used to feel lost and alone, I knew so many people from high school who knew back then what they wanted to be and I felt so odd because I didn't. That was at first, I felt much worse 4 years later when a lot of my friends graduated and I still hadn't. I kept feeling like I couldn't live life until I got my degree. As I matured, I realized, THIS IS my life and I need to start living it. I tried many jobs and have taken many courses. And I believe in the end, in my heart or hearts, I want to be a home-maker. I want to cook and clean and tend to my husband and children. I want to be a soccer mom and travel the world with my children and do charity work. What major does that fall under? How in this day in age do families get by with only 1 income? After all thse years of women struggling for equal rights can I possibly want to regress to the past? These are conflicting problems I had been plaqued with. That is until I came accross a business opportunity that allowed me to start work immediately and need no educational background. It gave me the freedom to get a good income going that will continue to come in even if I stop working (residual income) so I can focus on my true passions.





So my advice to people in college is, sometimes our passions don't pay and lets face it, we need money to live. So for all those who feel 'lost' because what they 'want' conflicts with what 'pays,' visit my website:





http://thelmajanke.iamagel.com/opportunity
i would say, take it all in because it might not be a year or two by even later down the road it would be useful.


my college learning didn't come into my life until i was in my 30's. now i own a couple of businesses, couldn't have done it without the skills i learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment