Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Going to Lisbon with severe fish allergies, need advice from people who live there preferably with allergies?

I have really severe fish allergies, as in, I get a reaction just being around fish that is cooking, or sitting next to other people eating it, or touching things that people who didn't wash their hands after eating fish also touched. I am thinking of going there but I'm not sure if I will constantly be bombarded with minor or major allergic reactions. Hopefully someone in my exact situation with regards to allergies who has already lived there can comment on


my chances of survival and things they did to cope. Also, if you visited there, or in a similar part of the world, with the same sort of fish allergies, your input would be appreciated as well, or if you personally know someone in the same situation and know how they managed, that could be helpful as well. I know already, and I already take a number of sensible precautions; I'm looking mainly for site-specific advice or warnings. Thank you for reading this question and for your feedback.Going to Lisbon with severe fish allergies, need advice from people who live there preferably with allergies?
Stick to reputable resturaunts, and take the same precautions you normally would. As long as their staff has some measure of diligence, they can prepare a dish that should be safe from cross-contamination.





Just be sure to tip accordingly. They're probably going to greater-than-usual lengths in Spain, where seafood is a staple.Going to Lisbon with severe fish allergies, need advice from people who live there preferably with allergies?
I'm not sure whether Janne was saying Lisbon is in Spain or whether in Spain, seafood is more of a staple than in Portugal. The question is not addressed simply to restaurants, and asks for more than the most generic advice possible. I am baffled as to why this answer was picked.

Report Abuse



Do you think that they eat, cook, touch nothing but fish in Lisbon? Take the same precautions as you would where you live now. This isn't hard.
I don't know about Lisbon or Fish allergies but I now live in Korea and am severely allergic to milk. Some things I would suggest from my experience there are that you bring any medications you need for first response reactions and learn how to say ';I'm severely allergic to fish.'; I'm not sure if Medicalert has offices in Lisbon but find out if they are connected to the system and register with them and wear the bracelet if so. You can also get them made personally if they aren't connected and can have them engraved in any language. At the very least write it on a piece of paper in both English and Spanish and put it in you wallet or somewhere else that people might check in case of emergence. ie your passport.
dont go.





You come and look after the kids and I'll go instead

No comments:

Post a Comment